Sunday, November 8, 2009

Binky Blues...what to do, what to do...

I know you are all wondering how we get Breah to be such a good sleeper. I mean really, who can complain when she sleeps 12-13 hours a night and takes 3 hour nap each day. She goes to sleep by herself and for the most part, wakes up singing every day. Sometimes we go to extremes to put her down without a fight, like tonight. She insisted on getting all dolled up for bed, and I was laughing too hard to argue. At least she won't be caught off guard if we have any unexpected company in the middle of the night!
The only problem is she still has to have a binky. It has to go, but I don't know who it's going to be harder on, her or her parents when she's up all night screaming. I am not looking forward to this, but we have to start somewhere on our list of things to do before baby brother comes (binky, potty training, big girl bed. . .). So, starting next week when we get back from Grandma's, it's bye bye binky! I think we'll accidentally leave it there. It can't be that bad right? Between Dora, Cow (i know, we're really clever when it comes to names), Big Bird, and Elmo, don't you think she has plenty of other sleep aids to keep her company at night? My other thought is to go to the store and trade it for a new toy, like a train or something. Do you think that would be a better approach than the sudden disappearance? Or should I wait and do the binky and the bed at the same time? If anyone has a better idea, or any advice on any of the other topics listed, feel free to share.

8 comments:

  1. I don't have a lot of experience taking away binkies (only had to do it once), but I say def don't do it and the bed at the same time. You want to make sure she is going to sleep and staying asleep by herself before you go to the big-girl bed.
    Good Luck! Just hide them all until she doesn't remember, then throw them away. Just make sure you don't miss one--b/c she will find it LOL (not that that happened to me a few weeks ago)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a few people who clipped the end of the binkie off and when they showed it to the child, they said it was broken and needed to be thrown away. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would just throw ours away and tell the girls that they were all gone. Kyla was upset for a night or two and then got over it and it didn't phase Arwen at all. I got rid of the pacifiers when we stopped the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "binky fairy" worked for Porter! :) We just told him the binky fairy took them so the babies could have them.(THEN THROW THEM AWAY WITHOUT HER SEEING!) It was hard for about 2 days, that's it. :) You can do it! Or I should say, Breah can do it!
    P.S. I love that she gets all dolled up for bedtime. She's so adorable and we miss all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breah is seriously so cute, and funny! I love her little bedtime hairdo:) I don't have any experiance with taking away binkis(or bottles which is going to be my up comming challenge) but maybe she'd do better getting used to a new bed without haveing to give up the binki too..so if you did that before maybe it would be better..heck, I dunno. I just hope it goes ok for you! ps, Grace says hi, and that she really likes her lttle stroller (thank you) and that she is excited to play with Breah again:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how cute she is!!! such a sweet little girl...I have no advice..except I would do the binkie very last, after the big girl bed, etc. but what do I know, I do know she is sure a little sweetheart. love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We did the binkie fairy with Emma. She had to leave it under her pillow and the fairy took it and gave her a new big girl toy (in our case makeup)! Tyler still has his binkie, I know he is old but what is the big deal about letting them have them at bed, they are still so little. Plus with a new baby, they need something to comfort and feel good about, you might see some regressing of her "big girl" skills anyway. We did the potty training and big boy bed before Sara, but I let him keep his binkie. So if you find something very successful with Breah, pass it on to me. Plus, I would be much more worried about the potty training! Good luck with the potty training....and in my opinion YOU CANT POTTY TRAIN THEM. You can teach them, give them the underwear, the potty chair, etc but in the end they have to decide they WANT too, at least with my kids. And when they decided, that was it, they were done! But me trying to make them, backfired big time, because it is something they have control over, not you! :) Anyway sorry this was long....all the milestones are fun (in a weird way) because it so neat and sad to have grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you know, I have been thinking also, I would continue to let her have the binkie only at bedtime so she won't think the baby is getting all the comforting things, it won't hurt her to have it and you will really need her to go to bed good. Love ya all

    ReplyDelete