Sunday, August 15, 2010

Martin Reunion--Strawberry Pinnacles


This years' reunion was held, once again, at the beautiful Camelot Resort at Strawberry Pinnacles.  This is where Brandon attended his very first Martin Reunion--an event I'm sure he'll never forget, and we've liked it so much this was our 3rd stay.  In our family its hard to have anything without a theme, and this year it was "We're not JUST in Kansas anymore."  It was so fun to go and learn so much about my Grandpa Craig's side of the family, especially since I hardly knew any of them.  It was great to go and bond with family of past and present.  I think this is the first time we've had everyone together for a picture in years!


Sunday night we had some good old fashion meatloaf and potatoes, and Jello salads for DESSERT (remember, my family comes from Kansas, where Jello is not a part of the meal) and played a matching game to get acquainted with our ancestors.  Monday we learned more about my grandpa and his brother Forrest growing up.  Dinner that night was at a 50's Diner, followed by a sock hop, complete with dance instruction by Tannen.  When I was packing Brandon asked why we had to dress up if it's just my family...I had to remind him this is his 7th Reunion and he should know better.  It was almost as bad as his first year when he told me not to waste my time cutting out "m"s for peoples shirts because no one would actually wear them!
Don't worry, the rest of the fam wore them too, but I don't have the pics on my computer.  We sure fill that swing up after 7 years, don't we


And in addition to all the fun activities we had some free time to play.  I was watching the kids swing over the river and found myself wishing I was little again.  Then I decided to try it.  I have to say I thought after lugging kids around for almost 3 years i would have a little more upper body strength, but no.  I'm weak.  I didn't fall, but I sure thought I was going to.  My poor uncle, I'm sure I was quite spastic and he was torn between saving his own head or being there to help me up if I fell.  I did get a little better with practice, but made a goal to at least strengthen my left arm by next year!

I love the reunions cuz I love hanging out with all my family, but I think we enjoy them more now as we can watch Breah enjoy getting to know her cousins better and spending time with Grandma Nellie.  She was practically glued to her all week.  She had so much fun and is still talking about all the fun things she did with her "friends."  The first night there she tried to convince Brandon that she was having a sleep over in Graci & Cwello's (Cielo) cabin and was heartbroken when 3 days went by and not once did she get to sleep with them, but they had enough fun during the day.  We love our family and wish we could see them more often.  If only they would all see the light and move down here!


7 comments:

  1. Wow, you guys go all out for your family reunions! It looks like you had fun. I'm lovin' your fifties outfits, but you forgot to take a picture of just your little family. You could enlarge them for your mom and your in-laws to hang in their homes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your post as always, Wasn't it a blast?! We LOVED spending time with you all, I just wish we could be together all the time!!!
    I can't wait till we can play some more together, I miss those precious babies,(I guess I need to say 'Big girl' & baby)

    Will you download your reunion pics on a walmart or Walgreens CD in Vernal, then I'll pick it up here---you sure got some great shots of everyone!

    luv ya,

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha it looks like we are going to break that swing pretty soon. lol next year lets find a different spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always love your blog, but especially love your Martin Family Reunion. Thanks for being a part and sharing with us. I agree, wish we could all get together more often. Love you all.................

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I haven't checked in for a while- I keep forgetting to update my brain to the fact that you're private now! Anyway, things look good for you guys- Shaylah looks HOT, the kids look cute and sweet, and Brandon, have you lost weight? I don't think I've seen you look so fit!

    Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do such a great job of taking pictures. I am excited to see them all and get copies of the whole clan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW it looks like you had tonssssssssssss of fun love it:)

    ReplyDelete