Sunday, August 29, 2010

Kanarraville Falls

I saw some pictures online awhile back of this place called Kanarraville Falls, and  it's been on our hiking to do list ever since.  Well, when we finally were set to go a few weeks back, there were flash flood warnings for that area, and since it's a slot canyon and all, we opted to go hiking elsewhere--Snow Canyon.  I don't know what we were thinking.  It was really hot (we thought that since it was raining every where else it might be cooler...we were wrong). But we made the best of it and went and played in the sand dunes under our umbrellas for awhile before heading home to cool off in the pool.  
Then a couple of weeks ago, my Beehives went and did Kanarraville Falls and raved about how much fun they had, so that got me even more excited to do it. So yesterday, despite warnings from friends and high wind advisories, we headed up.  It was pretty windy, but we didn't drive all that way just to turn around and go home so we holstered up the kids, covered Tayven with a blanket (which promptly put him back to sleep) and began our journey.  About 10 minutes into the hike, I realized i left the camera in the car.  Too bad really, cuz I don't think we'll make it back there for a few years.  You can thank Google for the lovely pics.  I usually really enjoy hiking, and I don't consider myself the type of person that stresses about much, but this hike had me pretty stressed out.  It didn't help that Breah cried 70% of the hike "I just want to go home"!  It really was a nice hike and i think I would have really enjoyed it had I not been so worried about the kids.  There were just a few places along the way where we ended up on the wrong side of the creek and it made me nervous trying to slide down rocks and balance whilst carrying the kids.  But the weather was beautiful (windy at times, but not too bad) and once we got to the slot canyon Breah and I had both mellowed out and were actually enjoying ourselves. At the first waterfall you have to climb up a fallen tree ladder. 

We watched a guy coming down the tree with a 3 yr old on his back and opted to save any further adventure for another day but we let Breah down to play in the water while I fed Tay, and Brandon went further up to check things out.  On the way down we let Breah walk through water, which made for a much happier hike down.  We also realized that walking in a creek bed is not something that comes naturally and requires some getting used to, and that when one is allowed to participate rather than be forced into doing something, the chances of cooperation are much higher.  She is so much more aware these days too.  Any time we approached a narrow trail or anything she would freak out and start screaming again so we had contests to see who could find the prettiest rocks (I found one that looked like a heart and gave it to Breah who then asked, "what kind of rock are you gonna find?" so it was more like how many rocks can mom find and Breah will wash them) and looked for wild flowers to keep the little one occupied.   Although Breah was difficult and wins the prize for Most Anxious (Mom came in a close 2nd there) and Biggest Whiner, Tayven was a champ and took home the Hiker of the Year award.  He slept the whole way up and after a quick lunch was content to watch his surroundings for a while before drifting quietly back to sleep.  I'm telling ya, he was a dream and didn't make a peep the whole time. Breah was so funny.  On the way down Tayven's hat blew off and we had to go chase after it.  Once we retrieved it Breah said, "See, that's why next time we just have to leave Tayven at home, so his hat not blow away."
Me:  "You want to leave Tayven home all by himself?  But who will take care of him."
Breah: "I can stay wif him, cuz I not really wike it here, and that way his hat not blow off.  Just put it in your pack pack!"
Me:  "But I don't want his head to get sunburned."
Breah: Well, next time, Tayven and I will stay home and Mommy and Daddy can come all by their self, and I will take care of him.  
Dad:  So Mom & Dad can come hiking and leave Tayven and Breah?  But it's more fun to go hiking with our whole family.
Breah:  Yeah, we two of us all are togeTHer, but tomorrow we two will stay home.

And guess what Breah wanted to do instead of go to church today?  Yep, go hiking.  I guess she's forgotten her misery already All in all it really wasn't a bad day.  We look forward to going again someday...just not anytime soon. 

5 comments:

  1. hehehehe, sounds a like 2 or 3 yo to me--that does look like a fun hike

    BTW, Squiggle keeps asking if Breah can come play ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you decided to go! I love hiking but for some reason I need some motivation to get out and go, though I usually have a great time once we get going. I say usually because Grace can cry the whole time too. Anyway Breah is so funny! Maybe her, Grace and Emeri can start a babysitting club and we parents can all go out to a movie sometime;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breah is so cute! She is getting so big now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been on our list to do this summer too, we are running out of time. I love the dialogue between breah and you, so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh those cute kids, I can't believe how much Breah has grown, I think that she would take real good care of little Tayven...that is so funny, I really don't blame her that does not look like a real fun hike. (pretty pictures though) you guys always make such fun times

    ReplyDelete