Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Brief Update

Tayven is improving more and more all the time.  It's been a loooooooooonnnng day, but we are feeling much more optomistic.  He's had a series of Xrays and a second CT scan that determined there was no skull fracture like we once thought, just the bleeding on the brain which has settled.  That just means that it's all settled at the back of his head (because he lays on the back of his head) and that it's not still bleeding--and that is exactly what we were hoping to see.  And at about 3:00 today the trauma team (who continue to monitor and treat him) determined his neck was not fractured either, so he finally got to be freed from the neck brace, which really made all the difference.  Now he is rolling around and playing and acting more himself.  This is, of course, the best news we could hope for.  We are so incredibly thankful for a speedy recovery and that things were not any more serious.  We are so blessed.  He has given us quite the scare, but must have his sisters fighting genes.  We are also so appreciative and thankful for all your thoughts and prayers in our behalf the last couple days.  We have felt your love and support in many ways and it has made all the difference.  We truly have been blessed.  I'm so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who has answered our prayers and given us all the strength to get through this and for giving Tayven the strength to overcome this obstacle.  He's such an example to me of pure, undying faith, and uncondiotional love--even though I've put him through all this, he trusts me to take care of him, to provide for his needs andto comfort him through his pains.  I just need to have faith that my Heavenly Father can do the same for me!

Anyway, we hav one last MRI and a few other tests to do tomorrow. If it all checks out, we should be out of here in no time.  We will keep you posted.  Again, thank you all for everything! 

And in case you haven't heard, here's the story:

Well folks, as you may have heard, the last 30 hours have been a little tramatic for  my family.  It all started when Mommy was getting ready to go to mutual last night.  You see, I lovate my mommy lots and really like to be held at all times.  But Mommy really had to change her clothes so she put my on the bed, the one place that I actually enjoy sitting by myself sometimes.  I was having fun chewing on Dad's wallet, so Mom moved to the bathroom to do her hair.  She was just a few feet away, but it wasn't close enough.  I rolled off the bed and onto the floor, probably hitting my head against the wall at some point too.  Mom heard the thunk, followed by the crying, and was there in a heartbeat.  It hurt and I was really sad.  She took me outside to try adn console me, but I was just too upset.  Then, all of the sudden, the pain became too much and I gave up  crying and went limp.  Mommy saw my eyes roll back and thought maybe I was unconscious.  I knew she was scared because she was crying and ran to get the neighbors.  I was scared too, but I'm strong!  Our sweet neighbor took us the ER.  I was taken by some EMT's, right back to a trauma unit where i was assessed by some nurses.  They told us everything was going to be ok, that Mom was probably more traumatized than I ever would be by the ordeal.  I was sad, but responsive. My color returned and I was consolable--everything seemed to be ok.  The doctor told Mommy adn Daddy that clinically I looked good.  I was just to be monitored closely for the next 24 hours.  After some snuggling with Mom, I was exhausted and went sleep.  But that was normal, so after about an hour of observation, they sent us home with instructions to come back if I seemed to worsen, have a seizure, or had projectile vomitting.

When we got home, I vomitted a little.  It wasn't a lot so Mom and Dad thought I was probably ok, although Mom was a little paraniod. Then I had some dinner.  I was starving and ate really good.  Then Mom started to dress me (I had pooped all over my close in the ER and come home nakey!). I was kind of gaggy so Mom called dad.  Then I puked. We are talking PUKE!  It was everywhere, and it just kept coming.  Mom said it was time to go back to the hospital.  This time they made me wait forever.  They didn't believe Mom's story that the Dr. had told them to come right back if this happened.  They made us get all registered again and everything--so I vomitted all over the registration room, and she still didn't think I was serious.  But Mom and Dad kept insisting that they tell the Dr we were back.  Once they finally told the dr, he came right back to see us.  He felt really bad for sending us home and said that now I would have to have a CT scan, even though the radiation really scared them.  I wasn't feeling too hot at this point and was pretty much zonked out on Mom, even though we were both caked in yucky puke.  My CT scan showed that I had some bleeding on my brain and it was decided that I needed to be taken by LifeFlight to Primary Children's Hospital, where I could be monitored by a neurosurgeon to make sure I didn't continue to bleed.  So at about 11:30 pm, Mom and I headed by ambulance (with the same paramedics who met us at the ER door) to the airport, where we then boarded our private jet to SLC.  I was a good boy the whole way there, which made Mom's trip easier.  But then we got to PCMC and they started poking and proding and all that all over again.  I was not a happy boy any more.  It wasn't until 3:30 that tey got us settled into the ICU and let me rest in peace.  Mommy tried to sleep but only managed a few minutes here and there between 4 and 5.  This story will continue later...sorry

No comments:

Post a Comment