Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Birthday Fun, Part 1

 Tayven's actual birthday was on Monday.  We started the day off with birthday waffles.  But I should have known better--he would much rather have "deryull!" (my attempt at spelling his pronunciation of cereal).  The kid loves his cereal.  His morning routine goes something like this:  Wake up around 6:30 and yell at Sissy until mom comes in to get him.  Then we watch Dora until either Sissy wakes up or he gets tired of snuggling and starts begging for cereal.  He has to have some of every kind of cereal in the cupboard and will usually eat 2 bowls.  The rest of us enjoyed the waffles though! 

A little later that morning, we decided to break out the pool.  Then a package arrived from Grandma Nellie...new Thomas bath toys, which were just that much more fun in the pool!  He loved them, and the pool, and I felt guilty dragging him kicking and screaming to his bed for a nap, but I didn't want him to be a grump for that evening, so I did it anyway. 
After his nap I couldn't get him out of his crib (also a daily occurrence).  So Breah and I were talking up his party.  We told him that when dad got home he could open his presents, and we could swim some more.  He was content with his new choo choo's and wasn't really interested in more presents, but once outside we couldn't keep him out of the water.  He jumped in fully clothed while we were prepping to roast our hot dogs.
 In addition to cereal, his other favorite food would probably be hot dogs, so of course we had to eat that for his birthday dinner!  We make him do the hot dog dance every time he eats one.  It's adorable.  He also calls Mickey Mouse "Hot Dog." 
 Breah was very involved in the planning of the birthday festivities.  She had all sorts of games prepared for the parties.  And the fire, as well as the pool party were her ideas. 
 Since it was just us, I opted not to make a whole cake in addition the the party cake, so I frosted up some cake batter rice krispy treats.  It was delicious, and Tayven was pleased.   Breah even decided that for her next birthday she wanted a little tiny cake to go along with her big cake. 
 Enjoying an ice cream cone while being sung to by Grandma Nancy and Grandpa:
 After swimming some more to wash the ice cream off their faces it was time to open presents.  This time he was a little more excited about the idea, "Yay!  Pesents!"
 Dora shoes!  I never thought my son would be harder to dress than my daughter, but I was sadly mistaken.  He's been wearing his brown dress shoes with socks and shorts every day for the last month because he won't wear anything else.  I was hoping the Diego shoes would change that.  And after some convincing, they have become a staple!  We just have to call them Dora. 
  He also got a Thomas bag that zips out into a little play mat, and some marble works.  Both were a big hit until Breah taught him how to stuff his mouth with marbles, now they are off limits for a couple weeks...
All in all I think it was a pretty good day.  He sure can be a stinker but we are so blessed to have him as part of our family.  Now my little baby is all grown up into a terrible 2 year old.  We love you Tayven, tantrums and all! 

2 comments:

  1. Gee Tayven, you are growing up so big, it looks like you had so much fun, Breah,sure did plan a nice party for your big day, we love you and miss you so much!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, to be the parent of a two year old. Lucky they have about 1.5 years of cuteness to precede it. Happy Birthday, Tayven! And Shaylah, that cake looks great! I've always been impressed with the cakes you make.

    ReplyDelete