Wednesday, June 18, 2008





If someone had asked me two years ago if I would ever miss school, I probably would have laughed in their face. After all, I had been a full time student for 17 years and I was good and ready for something new and different. But after a two year vacation, I have decided it would be good to take a class or two and get the old brain out of hibernation. Now don't get all crazy on me, I'm just taking a photography class, not calculus or anything like that. For Mother's Day, Brandon and Breah signed me up for Basic Photography. Ever since we talked about moving down here I've been talking about taking one, so I think he got the hint! I have taken a basic class before, but it's been a long time since I've done anything, so I wanted a bit of a refresher and then I'm going to take a more advanced class in the fall. I'm super excited! So our "homework" this week (homework I actually enjoyed and didn't put off til the very last minute!) was to stand in one place and take 5 different pictures without zooming. So of course I headed to the temple (In my last class the temple was forbidden because it's "overphotographed" and he wanted to encourage creativity, but I'm carless, it's hotter than heck, and I have Breah to work around, so I had to pick something close). Monday I used my old Nikon with some old black and white film and played around with the appeture and F-stops and all that, but I can't get the film developed in time for my class, so today we set out again with the digital. I can't figure out how to change the settings on it yet but I was able to shoot a few and thought I'd share. The pics below are some i took just for fun. I'm obsessed with Breah's toes, but she rarely holds them still long enough to get a good picture. My favorites are the ones of her trying to grab the camera while I'm trying to get her toes. The grass was wet, so she really wasn't all that happy about being plopped down in it so this was all I got of her. Anyway, I know many of you are great photographers so any tips or advice are welcome.

5 comments:

  1. Hope your teacher liked your pictures because I think they are great. Cute baby in them..........
    I am excited for you since you love to take pictures and are so good at it.
    Corey took a photography class and has some of his pictures hanging in their house, maybe he will have some suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! I love the ones of Breah's toes. Too cute. I'm excited to see more of your pictures; you have a good eye for photography!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are a pretty great photographer already! Breah is so dang cute! It is looking pretty gorgeous down there! We really need to come and visit huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shaylah- you probably didn't know that I read your blog but I'm tagging you so you better come check out mine!

    ReplyDelete