Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Martin Family Reunion

One Big Happy Family
and one small, Happy Family
Last weekend was the much anticipated annual Martin Family Reunion at Moon Lake Resort. We had been to Moon Lake before but I had forgotten how beautiful it is up there (it also slipped my mind that we would be WAY up in the Uintah Mountains, and it can get a bit nippy up there). The theme this year was "Life together is a Treasure" and each family was a different jewel, and because we are everybody's favorite we were diamond! If you know my family, you know we can't do anything without a theme--it just makes everything that much more exciting! We all arrived Thursday afternoon and had fun visiting and enjoying the scenery and then Friday we headed to the Lake for a fun filled day at the beach. Well . . . it was FREEZING! There were a few crazy ones who braved the icy water on top of the freezing cold wind, but the rest of us made a windbreak with the cars and huddled close for shelter from the wind. Breah's favorite part of the lake was the CheezIt's and getting to snuggle with her dad for a nice nap.
After the cold got to be too much we headed back to the cabins for more visiting, only with the shelter from the trees and warmth of our clothes. Breah was content as could be sitting there in the dirt (she was ok in dirt but absolutely loathed the sand) playing with a shiny granola bar wrapper with her cute little legs crossed. Some of the fam even tried sharing toys with her, but she always went back to the garbage.
We had yummy smoked turkey for dinner and then as we were preparing for the talent/skit show it started to rain. We though surely it would pass but it rained and rained and rained, soaking everyone and everything. We did get in a couple Mama Mia reinactments though before running for shelter. It got so cold! When we got up and moving Saturday morning it was 34 degrees--a bit of a shocker for us southerners, and we were serving frozen smoothies for breakfast! Saturday we had a treasure hunt and then made jewelry with all the hidden jewels and had a special FHE with Grandma and Grandpa. It was fun to have so much time to spend together and to be able to listen to Grandpa tell about some of his memories. I'm so glad that my family has made this such a fun tradition. I look forward to it all year long, especially now that we are farther away and don't get to see everyone as much. We had almost the whole family there, with the exception of Ryan, Brandon, and Chelsey, and we sure missed them!
We kept Breah inside as long as possible Saturday morning when it was so cold but she had to be looking outside to make sure she wasn't missing out on anything. The next picture is Breah getting hugs and kisses from her cousin Cielo, and then our little family Sat. night (I was a pirate for the awards ceremony, hence the bandanna) and Breah eating Aunt Robyn's eggs-she is getting better about going to other people, especially if they have food.

7 comments:

  1. Wow--34 degrees! August can be so tricky sometimes. I would love to go to a family reunion with a theme--I love it! It sounds like glorified Girls Camp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good time (except for the cold!)! I love the picture with the cheezits and the wrapper. Toys are just never as fun as other things that are lying around! Did I tell you that I really do like your haircut! I think it is so cute! Hope things are going! Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to say "Hope things are going well!" Sorry I didn't complete my thought there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Moon Lake! How fun for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed your blog. You did a good job. We did have fun didn't we? Enjoyed sharing a cabin with you guys. Can't wait for next years reunion in Vernal. love, Gramma Marj

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the bandana look, I think you should wear it more often! Your family has some fun traditions... it always looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete