Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Moving, from the eyes of a 3 year old

     As I'm sure you know by now, we are moving.  In like 10 days to be exact (Yikes.  that's the first time I've actually figured it out!). At this point, we still don't know where we are going to be living.  Brandon and I went house hunting the beginning of May, and found a house we really liked.  We put an offer on it, but of course, it's a short sale, so we are just patiently (or not so much) awaiting a decision from the bank.  The good news is, we are under contract to sell our St. George home.  The bad news is, it looks like we'll be living in a hotel for a couple weeks.  I'm trying to only look at the positive here.  I'll have free maid service everyday.  I won't have to cook, and we'll have unlimited access to the pool.  We'll also have lots of down time to catch up on all our shows and and lots of much needed relaxation (I don't sleep much when we are seperated, so I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of that too!)  We will probably be eating out a lot.  And that's always fun, till you jump on a scale.  And most important, we'll be together.

    As hard as moving is going to be on all of us, I worry most about Breah.  We've been talking about it for a long time now, even though at first it was the possibility of moving across town.  We would drive by a house and scope out the neighborhood, the condition of the home/yard, etc, and at first Breah didn't think there was anything wrong with her old house.  She liked being right in the middle of her friends Emeri and Grace, and not far from Jake and Jada.  She would tell us, "But Mom, if we move, then my friends would miss me so much!"  or "Is there a house for all of my friends too?"  Once she understood that we could still see her friends and really wouldn't be that far away, then she started to get excited.  One house had a "tree house" (a swing set like the ones at costco) and she was sold!.  She started wanting to go drive by houses and was ready to take all her belongings to DI, or "leave them here for the people who buy our old house, and if they don't have kids, they can put it in the garage!"  Well, then we stopped looking for houses here, and would browse a lot of houses online.  It was hard to explain to Breah that we were moving far away.  She was devastated.  She didn't understand why we were leaving, but was convinced that all her friends would drive to Georgia to see her, just like we go see our families.  We've tried our best to get her excited about living by the ocean and getting to live in a different house.  Our theme song around here (when we're not belting out Praise to the Man or Dynamite) is "Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold!" For a while, she was convinced that Emi was going to move with us and was heartbroken when we broke it to her.  Here are a few of my favorite moving related quotes:

"We can just sell it!"
"Let's just leave it here for the next people to use, and I can get a new one" (bed, dresser, toys, you name it!)
"I have an idea, we could just sell my friends to whoever buys our house!"
one day I was talking to a friend and mentioned how I'll have all the time in the world cuz I'll have no social life when we move, to which Breah responds, "No Mom, you are going to make new friends too, just like me, and dad, adn Tayven.  We're all going to make new friends together!"  (LOVE this little sweet heart!)
"Will I have to get new grandma's too when we move?"  (heart breaker!)
On the phone with Dad "Dad, I found something I meed.  It's a Castle bed on the computer.  When we get to Georgia I'm going to get a castle bed!"   me:  Honey, I don't think we are going to get a castle bed.  I know that would be fun, but I don't want you getting your hopes up, cuz it's not gonna happen.  B:  "But I want one!  I saw it on the computer!"  Me:  Tell you what, if you see it at Walmart, and it's less than $100, you can have it! (pretty safe bet, right?) B:  "Well, you could just built it!"
The other day she had been playing with Jada and I asked, "Are you gonna miss Jada too?"  B: "No"  Me:  "You're not, are you sure?"  B:  "well, because I want her to come visit, and then she could just be with me, and I wouldn't even have to miss her!"

That's all I can think of right now, and I'm tired.  One more thing though, I've realized lately how much we rely on our friends and neighbors for so much, and I think that's going to be really hard to be out there and not know anyone.  Breah plays with friends almost every day.  I rely on friends for my sanity, as well as for babysitting while I have teeth filled, cars fixed, etc, etc.  What are we going to do when we know no one and are literally thousands of miles away from everything and anyone that could offer any comfort.  I'm ok, really.  I've done this before, and I'm sure I'll do it again, it's just the reality of it all.  I'm sure these first few weeks will just be like a big long vacation, but then when we never come home from that vacation, that's when it will be hardest!  Sorry for my ramblings, I'm not even going to link this from the old blog!  But if you are reading this, and you are one of those wonderful friends, thank you, for everything.  I miss you already and I'm not even gone yet!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Shay, it's going to be a wonderful adventure! You are really lucky! I hope you have a good time making new friends! I'm actually a little jealous by the way...we're saving our pennies so that we can come visit you (probably early spring of 2035 so pencil us in k?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breah says the cutest things! I was cracking up with all the different things she's said.

    I know that the ward here is really awesome, and there are some good friends of yours that you're close to and you'll really miss. But I also know that Heavenly Father will really bless you as you take on this new challenge and even though it won't be easy, it will be worth it!

    p.s. we are trying to limit Madsen's exposure to kids, but if you want to come over on Wednesday, you are more than welcome to! Just let me know.

    ReplyDelete