Monday, September 22, 2008

Latest Embarassment

Before the days of motherhood, when someone would ask me my most embarrassing moment I would have to think for a minute and it would be something like the time I went snowmobiling and forgot a bra (we left early in the morning and went in our pj's, and underneath my winter coat it wasn't really that big of a deal), or how I used to call my journal "my diarrhea." Now, if asked, i would have to think for quite a while to decide which of the many moments was most embarrassing. Well, I'll save you the trouble of asking and just tell you (and if you're a regular around here you may start to notice a common theme). So past few days Breah has had a bit of diarrhea. But unlike the last time when she would just lay around and be cuddly all day, she pretty much been her usual self, minus the appetite. Then last night we stopped in Parawon (gas is 24 cents cheaper there, by the way) to change her diaper, and what to my surprise, it is full of something red, which I automatically assume is blood. So I save the diaper go consult with Brandon. Of course I am imagining all the worst possible scenarios and having daymares of all the testing they are going to do and so we decide we better get her checked out. We could have waited til morning, but at her size we didn't want to risk her losing that much blood. So I start researching on Brandon's phone and decide to call the doctor. Luckily we discovered our pediatrician now has an urgent care and they were open til 10, so we rush right in as soon as we pull in to town. The doctor was stumped, she'd never seen anything like it. she couldn't tell for sure what it was, but it was so consentrated she didn't think it was blood. So she starts asking us what she's been eating, and all I could remember was cheese, some banana, and her bottle (no appetite, remember). Then the dr. noticed a pink stain on her dress and asked what it was. We were stumped, I couldn't for the life of me remember giving her anything pink. And then it dawned on me. RASPERRY JELLO! I rushed my baby to the hospital at 9:00 at night because her pee was stained from jello! I was so releived, but also dying of embarrassment, I could not stop laughing at myself. But, better safe than sorry, right? I just keep reminding myself that if it had been something more serious and I just ignored it, I would never be able to forgive myself. I was also glad I kept the diaper--it saved us from having to do any testing. And it wasn't a wasted trip, we got some awesome diaper rash creme that cleared her right up!

3 comments:

  1. Hilarious! Glad you shared this one. As for your questions:

    I work part time at the Orem Public Library. I take whatever shifts I want to cover for people for now.

    So far I much prefer Orem to Logan. I do miss friends, but we were usually so busy that we didn't really do anything with anyone anyway.

    My brother tells me that it snowed in Logan a couple of weeks ago. Not surprised and not missing it.

    Hope to see you guys soon. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny-I would hate for another cousin to have to go through all the testing that comes after bloody diapers...I thought you were going to share a different embarrassing bra story...well, we hope to see you guys over UEA!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am laughing so hard right now! But I'm glad the story has a funny ending and not a bad one. How's Brandon's school going?

    ReplyDelete