. . . and her worst enemy. I've often said that Breah won't hold still long enough to watch TV, which is really fine by me. I hate the idea of using the tv as a babysitter . . . MOST of the time. But there are times that it really does come in handy. We have this one Baby Einstein dvd with cat (maybe they all have a cat, I'm no expert) and Breah is obsessed with it. I've tried to get her to watch it while I take a shower, or cook dinner or something but she will only watch it when the cat is on the screen. Until I sat and watched it with her last week. She sat through the whole thing as we snuggled with each other under her blanket. Yeah, that pretty much defeats the purpose of a TV babysitter, but it gave me a chance to not move for 30 minutes, which I so desperately needed. Now she will bring me the remote and meow while pointing at the VCR. I've limited her tv time to 1/2 hour for now and have tried to use it up when I need it most, for instance while I shower. But it's not really working out that way. Today I started it up and made a mad dash for the shower as soon as she was settled but it wasn't 2 minutes before she was pounding on the door. I quickly reminded her that "meow" was on which bought me another 2 minutes by which point I was done. I'm really glad that she prefers books over TV and hope this habbit continues. Who knows, maybe someday it will rub off on her couch potatoe parents!
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Television--a mother's best friend. . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I totally know what you mean about the TV and not wanting it to become a surrogate mother. But with Adam's school, homework and work, and my work, church callings, etc. Adyson has probly had too much. She will sit through any entire penguin movie. She loves to dance to the music though and it's really cute. Hopefully when we are done here with Adam's school that will change as I will hopefully not be working!
ReplyDeleteAny mother who denies that she's used tv as a babysitter is a liar! Although I don't want my kid to be a couch potato either, sometimes tv can be a total life saver!
ReplyDeleteDon't worry a few more months and she'll be even more independent and will be off doing all sorts of stuff while you are showering...at least that what Brigs started doing as soon as he turned two (I think that's the magic number!). I totally agree about the tv prob...that's why we have like 10 channels and the only one that has any kid shows is PBS and most of them don't seem to entertain my kids...hahaha.
ReplyDeleteVery funny. Good for Breah for avoiding couch potato-ness. Noah is obsessed with the movies Cars and Happy Feet. We started it so we could get a little more sleep on the couch in the early morning hours when he thinks it is ok to be awake :) I didn't know it would become an addiction! Oh well, life goes on right. Hope you guys are doing well over there on your side of town!
ReplyDeleteI don't care if my kid watches to much t.v. Its better for me to be sane then have couch potatoes.
ReplyDeleteI agree it is a hard fight, but a good one to win! Glad to hear you feel the same way. the thing that is the worst for me is when I find out instead of playing at a friends house, they just watched tv the whole time! YUCK!
ReplyDeleteTV is friend and foe! I can't say I'm not very grateful for Thomas, Little Bill, Dora, George, Pinky and many others that make my kids smile when Mommy is grumpy and needs to be in time out for a bit each day! I guess sometimes you just have to pick your battles huh?
ReplyDeletePS - LOVE the slippers Breah!!!