Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Adventures

The past 6 Christmases I have made caramel apples for neighborhood gifts, but this year I just wasn't up to it. (we almost lived in a different ward each year) The thing is, it's an all day (at least) affair, and this being our 3rd Christmas here, we just have too many friends.  There was no way I could have done it, Tayven is much too needy right now, and I was really trying to simplify the holidays.  So, for neighbor gifts I did gift wrap...it's the thought that counts, right?  But for Brandon's staff we wanted to something a little more (not that we don't love our neighbors, but who wants to get gift wrap from their boss?).  So I thought I'd try something new--Jalapeño jelly!  I found several recipes, tried to pick the simplest, yet highest rated, and went shopping.  Tayven was taking a nap so I got down to business chopping the peppers.  Next, I seeded the Jalapeños.  I found that a grapefruit worked really well for this, but then got a little too hasty.  I sprayed myself with jalapeño juice right in the face.  It burned soooooooo bad.  I was screaming and trying to wash it off but it just seemed to burn more the more I washed.  So I soaked a towel with cold water and stumbled blindly over to my neighbors, Breah leading the way, to see if they knew of anything that might help.  They googled it and found that water was the best, really the only thing to do.  Guess I gave up too soon.  My poor neighbors, I wonder what they must think of me?  But they are so kind, and at times, it's kind of handy having them so close.  I eventually regained my sight and went back to work, this time with Breah's safety goggles on:
After cutting into one of the red peppers, I discovered it had a secret--another tiny pepper growing inside

So after all was said and done, I decided that mace must be a pretty effective defense weapon after all.  I figure I would feel alot safer carrying pepper spray than a gun, and I think it would give me a good five or ten minute head start before the assailant came to his senses and was able to run after me.  And, I think my first attempt at the Jalapeno Jelly was a success and I will definitely make it again someday (with gloves and a mask)!


No comments:

Post a Comment